College Section Steering Committee
NCTE is guided by elected leaders at all levels of the organization. These leaders are chosen by members through an annual election process. From the evaluation and selection of which sessions go on the Annual Convention program to decisions about how member dollars should be spent, these leaders are at the heart of all we do at NCTE.
The College Section Steering Committee is responsible for the governance of NCTE’s College Section and guides the affairs of the Section. All Steering Committee members serve four-year terms. The Chair of the College Section Steering Committee is automatically a voting member of the NCTE Executive Committee.
Area(s) of Expertise
Committee Member Expectations
Time Commitment: At the NCTE Annual Convention, members typically attend a steering committee meeting on Thursday afternoon, the College Celebration on Friday evening (which the College Section hosts), and the CCCC/College Luncheon on Saturday. The Chair may also elect to hold a steering committee meeting at the CCCC Convention in the spring. No other face-to-face meetings are regularly scheduled, but special purpose or project meetings are possible. Occasional work via e-mail, listserver, or telephone conference call will be required through the course of the year, but ordinarily this will not exceed two hours a month. More extensive online working time will be required during the convention program review period in mid to late January.
Responsibilities & Activities
- Support growth in the College Section membership by inviting colleagues to join the Council.
- Read Council publications (particularly College English, English Education, TETYC, and CCC).
- Attend Council conventions and meetings, and participate in its programs.
- Identify and support potential new leaders, especially teachers from underrepresented groups.
- Recommend candidates to both the NCTE Nominating Committee and the College Section Nominating Committee to help assure quality in the continuing governance of the Council.
- Time Commitment: Over 1 year
- Deadline: 11/20/2022
- Position Type: Elected by NCTE Member Elections
- Convention travel expected
Questions? Contact NCTECommittees@ncte.org