ELATE Executive Committee
The ELATE Executive Committee is responsible for the governance of NCTE’s English Language Arts Teacher Educators guides the affairs of the Conference. All Executive Committee members serve four-year terms. The Chair of the ELATE Executive Committee is automatically a voting member of the NCTE Executive Committee. Candidates agree not to campaign during the election process.
Area(s) of Expertise
Committee Member Expectations
- Bring to the ELATE Executive Committee’s attention any matters of general concern to ELATE members, gather pertinent documents and other information to enrich discussion of those concerns, and prepare to recommend courses of action for the Executive Committee.
- Serve for four years, beginning officially after the November convention in the year of their election; but attending the ELATE Executive Committee’s Annual Convention meeting as guests in November in the year elected.
- Attend the NCTE Annual Convention as many years as possible during their four-year tenure and participate in ELATE activities during convention week, particularly the ELATE Executive Committee meeting. It is strongly encouraged that each member attend the ELATE Executive Committee meeting at the Annual Convention because important business must be conducted at that time. For the ELATE Executive Committee meetings, members are provided a $50 per diem to help defray living expenses. (ELATE’s finances and its policies prevent paying travel expenses to conventions.)
- Respond to inquiries and assume tasks at home as requested by the ELATE chair. Costs of postage, photocopying, and an occasional phone call in connection with these duties will be reimbursed, if necessary, by ELATE.
- Participate in the voting election of the ELATE chair and the other officers. The ELATE chair becomes a member of the NCTE Executive Committee. (Members have the option not to run for the chair.)
- Recommend candidates to both the ELATE and NCTE Nominating Committee to help assure quality in the continuing governance of ELATE.
- Participate in conference planning and review proposals.
- Make nominations for ELATE awards.
- Serve as informal advisors to the ELATE journal and advise the editor on matters of content.
- Serve if invited on other ELATE programs, subgroups, etc., but not when such invitations involve conflicts with ELATE meetings and other responsibilities outlined above.
- Have an e-mail account and respond in a timely way to messages and duties communicated online. There is a lot of ELATE business that is taken care of through electronic communication.
Time Commitment: ELATE Executive Committee members meet for an all-day meeting the Thursday of the NCTE Annual Convention every year. They typically join each other for the Opening Session at the NCTE Annual Convention, they do attend the ELATE Luncheon and ELATE General Membership meeting on Friday of the Convention, and are invited to the College Celebration on Friday night of the Convention. The ELATE Executive Committee also meets prior to the ELATE Summer Conference held every two years. No other face-to-face meetings are regularly scheduled, but special purpose or project meetings are possible. Occasional work via e-mail, listservs, or telephone conference call will be required through the course of the year, but ordinarily this will not exceed two hours a month. More extensive online working time will be required during the convention program review period in mid to late January.
- Time Commitment: Over 1 year
- Deadline: 11/20/2022
- Position Type: Elected by ELATE Member Elections
- Convention travel expected
Questions? Contact NCTECommittees@ncte.org