Elementary Section Steering Committee
NCTE is guided by elected leaders at all levels of the organization. These leaders are chosen by members through an annual election process. From the evaluation and selection of which sessions go on the Annual Convention program to decisions about how member dollars should be spent, these leaders are at the heart of all we do at NCTE.
The Elementary Section Steering Committee is responsible for the governance of NCTE’s Elementary Section and guides the affairs of the Section. All Steering Committee members serve four-year terms. The Chair of the Elementary Section Steering Committee is automatically a voting member of the NCTE Executive Committee.
Area(s) of Expertise
Committee Member Expectations
Time Commitment: Steering Committee members typically meet at the NCTE Annual Convention for a full day on Thursday and for a half-day on Sunday afternoon. No other face-to-face meetings are regularly scheduled, but special purpose or project meetings are possible. Occasional work via e-mail, listserver, or telephone conference call will be required through the course of the year, but ordinarily this will not exceed two hours a month. More extensive online working time will be required during the convention program review period in mid to late January.
Responsibilities & Activities
- Support growth in the Elementary Section membership by inviting colleagues to join the Council.
- Read Council publications (particularly Language Arts).
- Attend Council conventions and meetings, and participate in its programs.
- Recommend candidates to both the NCTE Nominating Committee and the Elementary Section
Nominating Committee to help assure quality in the continuing governance of the Council.
- Bring attention to any matters of general concern to members of the Section or to the profession
at large, gather pertinent documents and other information to enrich discussion of those concerns,
and prepare to recommend courses of action for the ESSC or, via the Chair, for the NCTE
Executive Committee to consider
- Time Commitment: Over 1 year
- Deadline: 11/20/2022
- Position Type: Elected by NCTE Member Elections
- Convention travel expected
Questions? Contact NCTECommittees@ncte.org