Middle Level Section Nominating Committee
NCTE is guided by elected leaders at all levels of the organization. These leaders are chosen by members through an annual election process. From the evaluation and selection of which sessions go on the Annual Convention program to decisions about how member dollars should be spent, these leaders are at the heart of all we do at NCTE.
The Nominating Committee prepares a slate of candidates for vacancies that occur annually on the Middle Level Section Steering Committee and selects candidates for the succeeding year’s Middle Level Section Nominating Committee. The candidate who receives the largest number of votes in the election will chair the committee.
Area(s) of Expertise
Committee Member Expectations
Time Commitment: Nominating committee members will typically have a few online conferences or phone calls prior to the Annual Convention, and will meet face to face on Saturday and Sunday mornings at the NCTE Annual Convention. For several weeks after the Convention, email and/or phone time may be required to confirm candidate availability and background information.
- Six candidates are nominated and three are elected members to the Middle Level Section Nominating Committee.
- Serves one year, taking office September 1, the year elected.
- The candidate receiving the largest number of votes automatically becomes chair.
- The nominating process is initiated when the Nominating Committee chair receives nominations by email or mail (in response to a call placed in numerous Council journals, The Council Chronicle, and the InBox Newsletter). The chair circulates these names to the other committee members for consideration.
- The Nominating Committee initiates suggestions for nominations and may submit these suggestions individually by a group consensus.
- All of the Nominating Committees attend the Annual Convention in November. Section Nominating Committees meet on Saturday and Sunday mornings to discuss the names submitted by email or mail, to solicit further nominations, and to generate nominations from within the committee as needed. The individual dates, designated meeting places, and times will be detailed in a Procedures and Responsibilities memo sent in August.
- The committee’s work is essentially completed in mid-December. After Convention, the work is finalized by e-mail and/or by telephone conversations.
- The committee works within standard NCTE policies on multiple roles, representation of people of color, and related matters. This information is explained in detail in the Procedures and Responsibilities memo.
- Under Council policy, the committee’s convention expenses cannot be paid, but expenses for postage and telephone calls are reimbursed.
- Time Commitment: 1 year or less
- Deadline: 11/20/2022
- Position Type: Elected by NCTE Member Elections
- Convention travel expected
Questions? Contact NCTECommittees@ncte.org