NCTE Nominating Committee
NCTE is guided by elected leaders at all levels of the organization. These leaders are chosen by members through an annual election process. From the evaluation and selection of which sessions go on the Annual Convention program to decisions about how member dollars should be spent, these leaders are at the heart of all we do at NCTE. That’s why voting each year is such an important part of being a member.
Responsibilities & Activities
NCTE Nominating Committee members will prepare a slate of candidates for Vice President, Representatives-at-Large, Trustees of the Research Foundation, and the new NCTE Nominating Committee.
Area(s) of Expertise
Committee Member Expectations
Time Commitment: Nominating committee members will typically have a few online conferences or phone calls prior to the Annual Convention, and will meet face to face on Saturday and Sunday mornings at the NCTE Annual Convention. For several weeks after the Convention, email and/or phone time may be required to confirm candidate availability and background information.
- Initiate suggestions for nominations, individually and as a group.
- Serves one year, taking office September 1, the year elected.
- Will attend the Annual Convention. Meetings of the committee take place Saturday and Sunday mornings (one or two other meetings may be scheduled during the Convention); nominations are solicited at the Annual Business Meeting on Friday.
- Will receive a per diem if members must meet outside the regular convention schedule and/or travel to another city to meet.
- The candidate receiving the largest number of votes automatically becomes chair.
- Autonomous, but are advised by both the Directors and the Executive Committee and receive recommendations from groups and affiliates.
- Work with standard NCTE policies on multiple roles, involvement of people of color, and related matters.
- As appropriate, confirm the Section that each candidate will be representing, and confirm that s/he is a resident in the designated state/region.
All Nominating Committees:
- advise the following year’s Nominating Committee, upon request, of various aspects of the nominating process.
- agree not to stand for election to Conferences, Sections, or Nominating Committees during their year on the Nominating Committee.
- will be ineligible for self-nomination.
- are sent a comprehensive set of guidelines for their work outlined in the Procedures and Responsibilities memo sent in August.
- candidates agree not to campaign during the election process.
- Time Commitment: 1 year or less
- Deadline: 11/20/2022
- Position Type: Elected by NCTE Member Elections
- Convention travel expected
Questions? Contact NCTECommittees@ncte.org