We are the organization we are today because of the expertise, time, and energy of our members. What role will you play in moving NCTE forward?
Responsibilities & Activities
Members-at-Large serve a term for three years representing the general membership on the CEL Executive Committee and help determine and implement CEL initiatives. Nominees must have attended two or more CEL conventions and volunteered in some capacity, such as by working on the Hospitality Committee or presenting/presiding at a breakout session. There are six Members-at-Large.
- represent the CEL general membership on the Executive Committee
- assist in planning functions of the Executive Committee
- perform other duties as assigned by the Chair (CEL Bylaws, Article III, Section 6.D)
Additionally, Members-at-Large contribute to the organization in some of the following ways:
- serving as coordinators of CEL programs
- writing a member-at-large letter to members inviting them to the CEL Annual Convention
- assuming responsibility for membership initiatives, recruiting, and retention [one Member-at-Large, appointed by the Chair, shall serve as facilitator of membership]
- attending all Executive Committee meetings and contributing to the discussions and decision-making
- participating in CEL presentations at NCTE conventions
- chairing sessions at the CEL Annual Convention
- offering sessions/presentations at the CEL Annual Convention
- serving at the CEL booth during the NCTE convention
Time Commitment: The Executive Committee shall meet once a year in conjunction with the NCTE Annual Fall Convention and again at a second annual meeting. Special meetings may be called at the discretion of the Chair. Executive Committee members also participate in CEL program proposal review, election candidate review, and award review and selection.
Candidates agree not to campaign during the election process: NCTE Policy on Campaigning.