Effective Date: July 7, 2021
Information That You Give Us. We collect personal information from you when you submit it to us, including, without limitation, by: (1) filling in forms, requests, or promotions on the Sites, (2) making a donation or purchase, (3) joining our mailing, (4) subscribing for our newsletter, (5) creating an account on the Sites, including an NCTE Connect profile, (6) becoming a member, (7) registering and/or attending for an event, including NCTE annual convention, (8) publishing or writing a review on the Sites; (8) participating in a promotion or survey, or (9) contacting us. This information may include, for example, your name, telephone number, email address, mailing address, billing address, date of birth, demographic, professional, and education information, job history, information about your interests and social links, and payment information, including debit or credit card number.
We may combine the information we collect from you with information we receive about you from other sources, such as address update services.
Information We Collect Automatically. When you visit the Sites, we may collect certain information from you, including your Internet Protocol (IP) address, MAC address, browser type, operating system, device-identifying information, the specific web pages visited during your connection, and the domain name from which you accessed the Sites. In addition, we may collect information about your browsing behavior, such as the date and time you visit the Sites, the areas or pages of the Sites that you visit, the amount of time you spend viewing the Sites, the number of times you return to the Sites and other clickstream data. We may also use non-personal or aggregated information for statistical analysis, research, and other purposes.
We may also use web beacons on the Sites, in our emails, and in our advertisements on other Sites. Web beacons are tiny graphic images that are used to collect information about your visit to the Sites, such as the pages you view and the features you use, as well as information about whether you open and/or act upon one of our emails or advertisements. We may also collect the URL of the Sites you visited immediately before coming to the Sites. Web beacons help us analyze our Sites visitors’ behavior and measure the effectiveness of the Sites and our advertising. We may work with service providers that help us track, collect and analyze this information.
We may combine the information we collect through cookies and web beacons with other information we have collected from you or information from other sources. Aggregated personal information does not personally identify you or any other user of the Sites.
How We Use Your Information. We may use the personal information and other information we collect from and about you:
- To provide you with our resources, products, and services.
- To create your membership account.
- To register you for events.
- To seek your feedback through customer satisfaction surveys or otherwise.
- To confirm, process, and fulfill your order, purchase, registration, donation, or other transaction.
- To respond to your inquiries.
- To inform and contact you about our Sites, events, membership, surveys, awards, grants, or other relevant topics.
- To contact you about products and services, including those provided by third parties, that may be of interest to you.
- To personalize our member records for better service, and create targeted mailing lists.
- To comply with applicable legal and regulatory requests and obligations (including investigations).
- To establish or defend legal claims and allegations.
- For security or prevention, detection, or investigation of fraud, suspected or actual illegal activity, violations of NCTE policy and rules, or other misconduct.
- To seek advice and consultation from lawyers, auditors, insurance companies, and other professional advisors.
- With potential or actual purchasers of all or part of NCTE in connection with a business transaction.
- To protect the rights, property, or safety of NCTE, our members, or other individuals if we believe it is necessary or appropriate to do so under the circumstances.
- For any other purpose with your consent.
- To our affiliates and sponsors.
- To our contractors, service providers, and other third parties who help our business with many tasks, including payment and credit card processing, order fulfillment, shipping, information technology and related infrastructure provision, data analysis, marketing, event hosting and planning, fraud prevention, auditing, and other services. We also disclose your information to our service providers who assist us with planning and hosting NCTE annual convention.
- To third parties to provide them an opportunity to inform you about events and activities related to NCTE projects, or to market their own products or services to you if you have consented to such marketing, for example, as part of your convention registration.
- To a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of NCTE’s assets, in which personal information held by NCTE about our Sites users is among the assets transferred.
- To others with your consent.
De-identified and aggregated information does not personally identify you or any other user of the Sites. We may disclose de-identified and aggregated non-personal information such as statistical or demographic information, for any purpose, including for statistical analysis and research.
The NCTE uses demographic and professional information collected on membership, convention, and other forms for de-identified aggregate analysis, to personalize our member records for better service, and to create targeted mailing lists. This information is also included in convention attendee lists supplied to convention exhibitors and other responsible third parties. In addition to the primary purpose stated or implied at the time the information is collected, we may use your postal mailing address to send you information about NCTE programs or products, surveys, or other information. If you supply personal information, such as an email address, we use it to confirm any orders you may place through the Sites, follow up on a request, or other such actions as the context determines. We may also use it to keep you informed about NCTE programs and initiatives. On occasion, we may use your e-mail address for a purpose indirectly related to the original context (e.g., e-mailing a customer satisfaction survey to those who have made purchases from the NCTE catalog or in the NCTE online store).
It is important to note that we provide our convention attendee information, including certain personally information about you, to convention exhibitors and may make it available to others under certain circumstances. We also make our member data available to companies offering NCTE member benefits and other responsible third parties. With the exception of the convention attendee data, NCTE does not make its e-mail lists available to any third party, including other members of NCTE. Personal information is also collected in the following areas, but is not reused in any form for any “secondary” purpose:
- Participation in special programs
- E-mail newsletter sent to nonmember
Choices about How We Use and Disclose Your Information. We strive to provide you with choices regarding the personal information you provide to us. We have created mechanisms to provide you with the following control over your information:
- Disclosure of Your Information for Third-Party Advertising. If you do not want us to share your personal information with unaffiliated or non-agent third parties for promotional purposes, you can opt-out by checking the relevant box located on the form on which we collect your data (e.g., the registration form). You can also always opt-out from future third-party advertising by sending us an email stating your request to email@example.com, or by calling our toll free number: 877-369-6283.
- Unsubscribe from Promotional Emails from NCTE. If you do not wish to receive promotional emails from us about NCTE or third parties’ products, services, and offers, you can unsubscribe by clicking on unsubscribe link in the email you, by sending us an email stating your request to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by calling our toll free number: 877-369-6283. This does not apply to information provided to NCTE as a result of a product purchase, warranty registration, product service experience, or other transactions.
Interest Based Advertising
We may use on the Sites third-party advertising companies and platforms such as Google Ads that use tracking technologies to serve our advertisements across the Internet. These advertising companies may collect information about your visits to Sites and other websites and your interaction with our advertising and other communications. These advertising companies serve ads on behalf of us and others on nonaffiliated sites, and some of those ads may be personalized, meaning that they are intended to be relevant to you based on information collected about your visits to the Sites and elsewhere over time. Other companies may also use such technology to advertise on the Sites.
You have the choice to tell us not to collect and use this information, and in some jurisdictions, we will only engage in interest-based advertising if you opt-in. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices concerning interest-based ads, visit: https://optout.networkadvertising.org/ or https://youradchoices.com/control.
The Sites allow you to upload, submit, store, send, or receive content and data (“User Content”) such as through NCTE Connect. You retain ownership of any intellectual property rights that you hold in that User Content. In other words, you own your User Content.
When you upload, submit, store, send, or receive User Content to or through the Sites, you give us permission to reproduce and use your User Content as follows: You grant to NCTE and those we work with a license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as translations, adaptations, or other changes we make so that User Content works better with the Sites and our services), publicly perform, publicly display, and distribute your User Content. This license is for the purpose of operating, promoting, and improving the Sites, to promote NCTE, as well as for other purposes that NCTE may determine in its sole discretion. Our license to your User Content is non-exclusive, meaning you may use the User Content for your own purposes or let others use your User Content for their purposes. This license is fully-paid and royalty free, meaning we do not owe you anything else in connection with our use of your User Content. We may exercise our rights under this license anywhere in the world. Lastly, this license is perpetual, meaning that our rights under this license continue even after you stop using the Sites.
You promise that:
- you own all rights to your User Content or, alternatively, that you have the right to give us the rights described above; and
- your User Content does not infringe the intellectual property rights, privacy rights, publicity rights, or other legal rights of any third party.
By submitting User Content, in addition to any other grants which may be granted in any other agreement entered into between you and NCTE and if you provide such information or content to NCTE, you irrevocably grant NCTE and its successors, assigns, and licensees, the right to use your name, likeness, image, and biographical information in any and all media for any purpose, including, without limitation, advertising and publicity purposes, as well as in connection with the Sites and hereby release NCTE from any liability with respect thereto.
We may refuse to accept or transmit User Content for any reason. We may remove User Content from the Sites for any reason.
Security. NCTE uses commercially reasonable physical, technical, and administrative security measures to reduce the risks of loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, and alteration. When you enter sensitive information (such as your credit card number) on our order forms, we encrypt that information using secure socket layer (SSL) technology. Even though we follow reasonable procedures to try to protect the information in our possession, no security system is perfect and we cannot promise, and you should not expect, that your information will be secure in all circumstances.
Children under the Age of 13. Our Sites are not intended for children under the age of 13 and we do not knowingly collect any personal information from children under the age of 13. If you believe that a child under the age of 13 has provided personal information to us, please contact us promptly at email@example.com.
You may choose to create accounts on websites or platforms owned or controlled by third parties to purchase our products. These third parties may use your information for their own purposes, including for behavioral advertising and analytics purposes. We do not control and are not responsible for the collection, use or other processing of your information by these third parties through the accounts you create with them. Please refer to their privacy policies to learn about how they handle your personal information.
Do Not Track. Do Not Track (“DNT”) is a privacy preference that users can set in some web browsers, allowing users to opt out of tracking by Sites and online services. At the present time, the World Wider Consortium (W3C) has not yet established universal standards for recognizable DNT signals and, therefore, NCTE and the Sites do not recognize DNT.
National Council of Teachers of English
340 N. Neil St., #104, Champaign, IL 61820
Toll-free number: 877-369-6283