Companion Resources for Teaching Reading with YA Literature: Complex Texts, Complex Lives
Teaching Reading with YA Literature: Complex Texts, Complex Lives
Author: Jennifer Buehler
If you’re an English educator interested in using this book as an introduction to using YA literature for preservice teachers:
- Visit here for materials on how to use the book in a methods class.
- Click to see a guide for teachers using this text in a reading group or book club.
- Share this lesson plan written by Jennifer about using YA literature from ReadWriteThink. Check out this activity about reaching out to YA authors, also from ReadWriteThink.
If you’re a classroom teacher interested in using this book as part of a book club:
- Go here for some guiding questions.
If you’re a classroom teacher concerned about how to help others understand why YA literature should be a part of every classroom:
- Refer to these talking points with some of the most-asked questions about YA books.
- Listen to Jennifer talk about teaching diverse YA literature on EdTalk Radio.
- Read this Council Chronicle article about Jennifer’s work: “Standing Up for YA Literature“.
If you want to learn more about YA literature: