We are the organization we are today because of the expertise, time, and energy of our members. What role will you play in moving NCTE forward?
CEL Associate Chair
The Associate Chair is elected directly by the general membership of the Conference on English Leadership. The Associate Chair serves for two years, after which he/she assumes the office of Chair. After two years as Chair, he/she becomes Past Chair for an additional two years. The term of office is six years.
Responsibilities & Activities
The Chair shall:
- assume responsibility for the Conference on English Leadership
- preside at all business meetings of the Conference on English Leadership and of the Executive Committee
- appoint the chairs of all committees, with the consent of members of the Executive Committee. Additionally, the Chair shall inform the board of all committee members appointed by the various committee chairs
- prepare a brief annual report for presentation at the annual meeting and for submission to NCTE to the attention of the Administrative Liaison. Two other reports are due to the NCTE EC in January and July
- attend all meetings of the NCTE Executive Committee and fulfill all responsibilities of membership on that committee (CEL Bylaws, Article III, Section 6.A)
Associate Chair Duties
The Associate Chair shall:
- preside at business meetings of the Conference on English Leadership and attend the NCTE Executive Committee in the absence of the Chair
- in preparation to become Chair, assume more responsibility for the second annual (fall) meeting of CEL, working with the CEL Executive Committee and the CEL Chair
- accept responsibility for coordinating committees and commissions of the Conference on English Leadership
- assume responsibility, as needed, for organizing cooperative efforts
- with professional organizations including other membership units of NCTE such as sections, conferences, commissions, assemblies, affiliates, agencies, and institutions having comparable interests and goals (CEL Bylaws, Article III, Section 6.B)
Additionally, the Associate Chair also performs tasks as designated by the Chair, including but not limited to the following:
- assuming responsibility for all aspects of the Exemplary Leadership Award
- hosting or chairing events at the annual conference or spring meeting
- serving on ad hoc or standing committees as needed
The Associate Chair will participate in the NCTE Executive Committee Orientation activities, usually scheduled the summer before he/she begins to serve as CEL Chair.
Past Chair Duties
The Past Chair shall:
- preside at the business meeting of the Conference on English Leadership and of the Executive Committee in the absence of the Chair and Associate Chair
- assume other responsibilities that the Chair may request
- assume the leadership for CEL Bylaws and handbook revisions
- serve as the CEL historian
- assure that the appropriate job descriptions, calendars, and other documents are transmitted to appropriate persons annually as officers and other leaders conclude their terms. (CEL Bylaws, Article III, Section 6.C)
Candidates agree not to campaign during the election process: NCTE Policy on Campaigning.