July 2023 Section Steering Committee Report
1) Please share ideas with the EC and staff:
A. How is, or how can you see, your Section supporting and contributing to ongoing work of the Council such as, but not limited to, regular opportunities in NCTE’s biweekly INBOX newsletter, upcoming NCTE hallmark events, and and engagement opportunities for the 2023–2024 academic year (e.g., the Secondary Section's recent work with staff regarding media inquires about AI/ChatGTP, grant or partnership opportunities, the African American Read-In, El día de los niños/El día de los libros—Children’s Day/Book Day, NCTE Twitter Chats, Banned Books Week, National Day on Writing)?
B. How is your Section collaborating or how does your section plan to collaborate with staff, other sections, committees, or other NCTE groups?
C. Please list below members you recommend nominating for NCTE offices as appropriate (VP, Secondary Rep at Large) and your Section’s Nominating Committee this fall (to be on the 2024 ballot). (Please note: responses will be shared with the appropriate Nominating Committees only, and not published anywhere.)
2) Describe how the Section Steering Committee’s work this year will advance the Council.
3) Are there literacy education topics or issues among your Section (the steering committee or facing the membership within the section) that should be considered within the Council? Such topics or issues could become considerations for professional learning, publishing, exploration with the Executive Committee, etc.
For each issue related to #3 above:
What is the significance of these issues to the Section, our members, or the field?
How long has this been an issue?
Please describe any inroads that have been made to date to address this issue.
Have pertinent documents and/or other information been gathered to enrich discussion of those concerns, or recommended courses of action prepared for the committee and/or for the Executive Committee to consider?
Are there any ways in which NCTE staff or the Executive Committee can be of assistance?
4) Provide an update on the Section’s Annual Convention and award activities planned for 2023.
5) Please identify any other key education trends or issues that could be addressed by the Council (via publications, including the Section journal, etc.).