October 10, 2018
ACT NOW: Ask Your Senator to Cosponsor S. Res. 653: National Day on Writing
Last week, Senator Pat Roberts (R-KS) and Senator Bob Casey (D-PA) introduced Senate Resolution 653 (S. Res. 653) to recognize October 20 as National Day on Writing®. The National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE) pushed for the introduction of this resolution in efforts to recognize the critical role writing plays in our lives. Please email your Senators today and ask them to cosponsor S. Res. 653.
Note: You can also participate in the National Day on Writing by using the hashtag #WhyIWrite on social media and sharing why writing is important to you. See the full list of activities and celebrate writing with us by visiting: https://whyiwrite.us/
You don’t need an action alert from NCTE to raise your voice.
If you want to speak out about current education issues, consider NCTE’s Policy Recommendations for 2017. You can get the word out in many ways including:
- E-mail your legislators about these issues
- Request a meeting at your legislator’s district office or on Capitol Hill
- Write letters to the editor or an op-ed in your local or national newspaper
- Submitting a blog post that offers your particular take/experience with the issue
- Sharing NCTE positions with others in your school/community