Achievement Awards in Writing Advisory Committee
The Achievement Awards in Writing program encourages high school sophomores and juniors to write and to publicly recognize the best student writing. The NCTE Achievement Awards in Writing program makes use of an advisory committee and state coordinators.
Advisory Committee: To advise staff on the nature, policies, and procedures regarding the NCTE Achievement Awards In Writing, including the following issues: development of a specific plan for involving more public schools in the awards, especially those with large nonwhite populations; revision of the structure of the award to mitigate the negative effects of competition on student identity and learning; consideration and development of diversified awards: that recognize remarkable improvement or growth in writing; that recognize multimodal composition (digital or non-digital); and that recognize remarkable risk-taking with the process of writing, instead of the exclusive focus on the final draft; and consideration of revising the Achievement Awards procedure, to eliminate the test-like, single-draft, timed essay as part of the award criteria, since recent developments in high-stakes assessment already privilege those who write quickly; and to consider and make recommendations for ways that the work might interface with NCTE’s National Day on Writing.
If you would like to be considered for possible membership on this committee, please send the following information to NCTECommittees@ncte.org.
- Member Number (If you are not currently a member, please provide your address).
- Email Address
- A brief biographical statement
- Resume/CV and any relevant experience
Area(s) of Expertise
Committee Member Expectations
- Attend meetings
- Help to solicit or create blog posts related to the committee charge
- Provide or propose topics and content for in-person events, virtual events, and Annual Convention sessions
- Assist the chair and NCTE staff in creating and executing these events as you are able
- Support the chair in their vision and ideas for the committee by using your skills, expertise, and time
- Provide input on the workings of the committee
- Time Commitment: Over 1 year
- Deadline: No deadline
- Position Type: Appointed by Committee Chair
- Convention travel expected
Questions? Contact NCTECommittees@ncte.org