NCTE Children’s Poetry Awards Committee
NCTE established the Award for Excellence in Poetry for Children in 1977 to honor a living American poet for their aggregate work for children ages 3-13. NCTE also recognizes and fosters excellence in children’s poetry by encouraging its publication and by exploring ways to acquaint teachers and children with poetry through such means as publications, programs, and displays.
Members of the NCTE Children’s Poetry Awards Committee determine the award recipient every other year and select notable poetry books each year.
- To recommend every two years a living American poet or anthologist to receive the NCTE Award for Excellence in Poetry for Children in recognition of their aggregate work.
- To establish an annual list of Notable Poetry Books and Verse Novels published in the current year by any poet, living or deceased, and of any nationality.
- To recognize and foster excellence in children’s poetry by encouraging its publication.
- To explore ways to acquaint teachers and children with poetry through such means as publications, programs, and displays.
If you would like to be considered for possible membership on this committee, please send the following information to NCTECommittees@ncte.org.
- Member Number (If you are not currently a member, please provide your address).
- Email Address
- A brief biographical statement
- Resume/CV and any relevant experience
Area(s) of Expertise
Committee Member Expectations
- Attend meetings
- Support the chair in their vision and ideas for the committee by using your skills, expertise, and time
- Provide input on the workings of the committee
- Propose books for review
- Read and review hundreds of books, making the final selections at the Annual Convention
- Attend the Annual Convention for events related to the award
- Time Commitment: Over 1 year
- Deadline: 12/01/2023
- Position Type: Appointed by Committee Chair
- Convention travel expected
Questions? Contact NCTECommittees@ncte.org