Promising Young Writers Advisory Committee
The Promising Young Writers Program’s purpose is to stimulate and recognize the writing talents of eighth-grade students and to emphasize the importance of writing skills among eighth-grade students.
The NCTE Promising Young Writers program makes use of an advisory committee and state coordinators. The committee’s charges are as follows:
To advise the NCTE staff on the nature, policies, and procedures regarding the NCTE Promising Young Writer Awards, including the following issues:
- To develop a specific plan for involving more public schools in the awards, especially those with large nonwhite populations.
- To prepare a written set of recommendations for the NCTE Executive Committee regarding the following: revision of the structure of the award to mitigate the negative effects of competition on student identity and learning; consideration and development of diversified awards: that recognize development of English Language Learners in writing in their first language as well as English composition; that recognize remarkable improvement or growth in writing; that recognize multimodal composition (digital or non-digital); and that recognize remarkable risk-taking with the process of writing, instead of the exclusive focus on the final draft.
- To consider and make recommendations for ways that the work might interface with NCTE’s National Day on Writing.
If you would like to be considered for possible membership on this committee, please send the following information to NCTECommittees@ncte.org.
- Member Number (If you are not currently a member, please provide your address).
- Email Address
- A brief biographical statement
- Resume/CV and any relevant experience
Area(s) of Expertise
Committee Member Expectations
- Attend meetings
- Help to solicit or create blog posts
- Support the chair in their vision and ideas for the committee by using your skills, expertise, and time
- Provide input on the workings of the committee
- Time Commitment: Over 1 year
- Deadline: No deadline
- Position Type: Appointed by Committee Chair
- Convention travel expected
Questions? Contact NCTECommittees@ncte.org