This blog post was written by NCTE Community Ambassadors: Christina Nosek, Jessica Hunter, Jeremy Hyler, Lee Rutherford, Lindsay Schneider, Lisa Castillo, Michelle Rankins, and Shawn Towner.
With #NCTE19 just a few weeks away, we believe that preparation is very important for attending any conference, but especially ours. Check out these 15 tips to help you have the best convention experience!
- Plan ahead by checking out the schedule before your arrival. The full program is available.
- Remember that you don’t have to attend every session.
- Remember to look for sessions you’re interested in, but not exclusively sessions with notable speakers. Perhaps go outside your comfort zone and try a session that is different from what you would normally choose.
- Consider back-up sessions you’d like to attend, in case the one you want is full.
- Bring your charger(s) for your phone and any other must-have electronics.
- Bring snacks to fuel your body.
- Stay hydrated.
- Wear comfortable shoes.
- Carry a sweater or a lightweight jacket.
- The dress code is comfortable casual or “conference chic.”
- Pack an extra bag for your book purchases. This year our bookseller is The Ivy Bookshop.
- Think about shipping your clothes home instead of the books. Your clothes weigh far less!
- Keep a lookout for the NCTE Community Ambassadors: Lisa Castillo, Jessica Hunter, Jeremy Hyler, Christina Nosek, Michelle Rankins, Lee Rutherford, Lindsay Schneider, and Shawn Towner. They will be wearing Ambassador t-shirts and giving out exclusive secret stickers.
- Don’t forget to follow them on Twitter (@RGVReaderLeader, @mshunterteaches, @jeremybballer, @ChristinaNosek, @michellerankins, @LeeARutherford, @LindsayFrances_, @mrtowner) and use the hashtag #NCTE19 to keep up with all things convention related.
- Don’t forget to breathe, process, and reflect.