Thank you for attending the Build Your Stack® Virtual Event on August 10, 2020!
This event was generously sponsored by the American Psychological Association. The seventh edition of APA’s Publication Manual continues to be the leading academic style guide in the world and is a Wall Street Journal and Publishers Weekly bestseller.
To see a list of most of the books discussed, to browse or to purchase, please click through to our Bookshop page for this event. NCTE and local bookshops receive a small commission when you purchase through this link. We also have a page where previously reviewed Build Your Stack titles are gathered.
Thank you for attending our first Build Your Stack® Virtual Event on June 30, 2020!
To see a list of most of the books discussed, to browse or to purchase, please click through to our Bookshop page for this event. NCTE and local bookshops receive a small commission when you purchase through this link. A. B. Majmudar’s book, The Torchbearers, is currently available here. You may also contact her directly for more information about how to purchase copies at email@example.com.
TEACHER EXPERTISE + BOOK KNOWLEDGE
We’re building NCTE into the place where you go to meet authors of significance, paving the way for knowledge and relationships that transform students and schools.
Our members’ knowledge of books should be celebrated and recognized, and this new initiative offers just the right platform.
But, you might say, there are so many books out there, and I have so little time to explore them all. We know! Build Your Stack will reduce the guesswork that goes into building a classroom library by creating a trusted connection to the best books, recommended by colleagues with deep expertise.
WHAT IS BUILD YOUR STACK?
1. A set of 35 unique sessions in the Exhibit Hall at the NCTE Annual Convention. Each 20-minute session will feature authors and educators talking about their favorite books and how to use them in the classroom.
2. Booklists and recommendations all year long, curated by NCTE members and shared via our member communications.
3. Periodic professional learning experiences in sites across the country and virtually that bring NCTE members together with authors and dynamic educators.
4. Blog posts from fellow educators with information about diverse books for you and for your classroom.
WE’D LOVE TO HEAR YOUR BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS! SHARE WITH US ON SOCIAL MEDIA USING #BUILDYOURSTACK.
WHAT KINDS OF BUILD-YOUR-STACK SESSIONS CAN I EXPECT AT #NCTE20?
For the 2020 Virtual Convention, Build Your Stack® had an Exhibit Hall on our virtual platform. We held over a dozen 20-minute live sessions. Videos from some of our presentations can be viewed by following the Vimeo links below:
- “Biographies and Memoirs: Meeting People While Socially Distancing” with Donalyn Miller
- “Unapologetically Me – Picture Books and Early Chapter Books/MG” with Jillian Heise and Aliza Riley Werner
- “HER-story, not History: Books that feature “Black and Brown” Females as Main Characters with Laura and Mary Haney
- “Imagining A Better World Through Stories of Love, Support, and Coming Together” with Kristine Schutz and Jen Vincent
- “New K-12 Indigenous Texts that Belong in Your Classroom” with Ricki Ginsberg
- “Notable Verse Novels and Poetry Books for K-8 Classrooms” with Excellence in Children’s Poetry Award Committee members Ted Kesler and Heidi Mordhorst
- “Undaunted Voices: BIPOC Novels-in-Verse” with David Bowles
“Ever since I joined NCTE in 1991, the many ways in which our organization has connected me with books and authors have shaped me as a teacher. My knowledge of the content of our discipline is deeply intertwined with the powerful learning experiences NCTE has provided and this has had a huge impact on my students. This project serves to take those experiences and connections to a whole new level. Teachers who are readers have students who are readers.”
— FRANKI SIBBERSON
NCTE Past President and 2018 Program Chair