Two-Year College English Association
NCTE members come from many different contexts. Joining one of these groups provides access to resources and experiences tailored to particular interests and needs.
The Two-Year College English Association (TYCA) identifies and articulates the best theories and practices, and pedagogy in teaching English in the two-year college through regional and national conventions and a journal, Teaching English in the Two-Year College (TETYC).
Benefits of TYCA Membership
TYCA unites teachers committed to the teaching and study of English in the two-year college, to advancing the profession, and providing a national voice for the two-year college in postsecondary education. TYCA members receive:
- Opportunities to present at and attend the 2024 TYCA National Conference (April 3 in Spokane, Washington).
- A subscription to Teaching English in the Two-Year College. TETYC publishes articles on English studies at the two-year college, including composition, reading and literacy, literature, creative writing, dual and concurrent enrollment, as well as professional issues.
- Invitations to apply or submit nominations for TYCA’s awards honoring outstanding two-year college English programs and outstanding teachers in the field.
To become a member, join online or call NCTE Customer Service toll free at (877) 369-6283. TYCA membership is $75 annually and includes NCTE membership and a subscription to the TYCA journal Teaching English in the Two-Year College. Students and Emeritus educators receive discounted pricing.Join Now
Goals of TYCA
- Promote excellence in the theory and practice of teaching English
- Encourage scholarship in research that informs the teaching of writing, literature and language
- Provide a forum for shared professional concerns
- Recognize and support diversity in the classroom and in the profession
- Promote awareness of the distinctively open academic and social environment of the two-year college
- Promote awareness of the effectiveness and adaptability of the two-year college in meeting community needs
- Encourage subscriptions to Teaching English in the Two-Year College
- Establish, affirm, and strengthen ties to groups that share our professional commitments
- Encourage the participation in TYCA of teachers of English in the first two college years through meetings, conferences, publications and other professional activities
TYCA’s 2025 Vision
TYCA will advance public understanding of the critical role two-year college English programs and faculty play in promoting academic, workforce, and civic success. To accomplish this, TYCA will provide a forum for rich professional development, support scholarly research in multiple literacies and classroom practices, and recognize outstanding programs and faculty. In addition, TYCA will forge collaborative relationships with other writing and literacy programs and organizations. TYCA will work to insure that legislative and organizational policymakers, at state, regional, and national levels, recognize and rely upon the expertise of two-year college faculty in addressing the diverse needs of all students.
History of TYCA