Poem in Your Pocket Day takes place every year on a day in National Poetry Month. On this day, select a poem, carry it with you, and share it with others at schools, bookstores, libraries, parks, workplaces, street corners, and on social media using the hashtag #pocketpoem. The 2020 Poem in Your Pocket Day will take place on Thursday, April 30.
Looking for a poem to carry in your pocket? Look no further!
- Visit the ReadWriteThink.org calendar entry on Poem in Your Pocket Day for poetry resources.
- The National Council of Teachers of English has a page full of resources like books, lesson plans, and other great ideas!
- Post pocket-sized verses around your school. Use the aptly named poem, “Keep a Pocket in Your Poem.”
- Warm up by listening to a poem or watching poetry being performed.
- Review some poetry anthologies or notable poetry books.
Poetry is best when shared, and Poem in Your Pocket Day is the perfect time to surprise someone with the gift of poetry.