The highlight of my summers has always been the chance to read — and read a lot. Growing up, I would go to the library every day. While I enjoyed the programs the library had to offer, I really loved the chance to peruse all of the books available. In college, summer meant I would finally have choice in my reading material after reading for courses all year. As a teacher, my school year reading was usually in preparation for what my students would be reading. Summers were times for me to choose for ME. Here are a few places to find lists of suggested titles for summer reading — for YOU.
- Chatting About Books: Recommendations for Young Readers, Podcast Series for Grades K – 5
- Text Messages: Recommendations for Adolescent Readers, Podcast Series for Grades 6–12
- Teachers Reading in the Summer
- Summer Reading: A Reflection
- Readers Are Survivors: A Middle School Student/Parent/Teacher Book Discussion Group
- Facilitating a Summer Reading Book Group Program
- 2017 Children’s Book Awards
- 2017 Notable Poetry Books
- 2017 Notable Verse Novels
- Children’s Literature Assembly 2017 Notable Books
- Assembly on Literature for Adolescents of NCTE (ALAN) Picks (a book review column)
What are YOU planning to read?