In any given school building the year will start with teachers who are just beginning their careers and teachers who have been there for many years. This mixture of fresh and seasoned perspectives is what makes our profession so rich. There is much to learn from those who have just left their role as students and those who have worked with hundreds of students over decades. We are all learners, always. This chat (and our hosts!) bring together these varied perspectives to offer the NCTE community some inspiration for the new school year and a reminder that we’re not alone!
The following questions will be shared during our Twitter chat, after introductions:
1. The beginning of the school year is a wonderful time to set goals for yourself and make small changes in your teaching practice. What’s your goal for the 2018-2019 school year? #NCTEchat
2. We know that many first-year teachers are entering the classroom for the first time this school year. What’s one thing you wish you had known during your first year of teaching? #NCTEchat
3. Student voice and choice are essential to learning. How can you support student choice this school year? #NCTEchat
4. Share an activity that you’ve done (or plan to do) at the beginning of the year to build classroom community. #NCTEchat
5. Family involvement in the learning process is important. How do you plan to involve parents and guardians in classroom literacy practices this year? #NCTEchat
6. Providing students access to books throughout the year is a fantastic way to support a culture of reading in the classroom. What books are you most excited to share with students? #BuildYourStack #NCTEchat
We hope to see you there! Be sure to join us by using #NCTEchat.
Never participated in a Twitter chat before? Check out this guide to help you get started.