This year’s Convention gives us an opportunity to celebrate student voice. As teachers dedicated to literacy learning, we know the power of our students’ voices and have always been committed to our role in raising those voices. At this year’s Convention we’ll think about the role of student voice as it relates to equity and justice. The Convention will include some new initiatives and events as well!
- Build Your Stack™: 35 short talks in the Exhibit Hall that feature authors and educators discussing their favorite books and how to use them in the classroom
- Early Start Thursday: This year we’re beginning the sessions a day early, starting at 1 p.m. on Thursday. This means more sessions overall and a great way to kick off your learning as soon as you arrive!
- Featured Sessions: Be sure to check out these special sessions that each offer perspectives on the convention theme:
- Raising Student Voice—What Is Our Role in Equity and Justice in the English Classroom? 11/16 @ 9:30 a.m.
- Students Raise Their Voices for Equity and Justice: A Continuation of Friday’s General Session 11/16 @ 11 a.m.
- Representation Matters: Exploring Female Identity in Children’s and Young Adult Literature 11/16 @ 2 p.m.
- Raising Student Voices about Bullying: Speaking Out for Equity and Justice 11/16 @ 3:30 p.m.
- Beyond Digital Storytelling: Multisensory, Multicultural, Multimedia 11/17 @ 8 a.m.
- A Stone of Hope 11/17 @ 2:45 p.m.
- Raising Student Voice in a Digital World 11/18 @ 10:30 a.m.
The All-Attendee Event Friday evening will feature authors who write in ways that help students of all ages discover their own voices.
What are you most looking forward to at #NCTE18?