Standing Committee on Affiliates
The NCTE Standing Committee on Affiliates (SCOA) has openings for an affiliate regional representative from region 7 (AB, AK, BC, ID, MT, OR, SK, WA, WY) and is seeking volunteers for this position.
Affiliates are geographically based associations of teachers or preservice teachers of English language arts, literacy, and English studies. Look to your local affiliate for professional development opportunities, electronic and face-to-face networks, print and online publications, and, most important, the collective wisdom of many of the best teachers in the field.
Affiliates are independent organizations, maintaining separate records and budgets from NCTE. Activities, including any programs or statements created by the Affiliates, are wholly driven by decisions independent from those of NCTE’s governing bodies, membership at large, and staff. Actions and publicity accorded to any particular point of view do not carry nor imply endorsement by NCTE, in whole or part.
In order to celebrate and cultivate the public voices of affiliates and their individual members, the Standing Committee on Affiliates is charged:
- To plan and implement an Affiliate Leadership Breakfast at the NCTE Annual Convention intended to celebrate the contributions individual affiliates have made in the past year;
- To encourage members of affiliates to join and engage with NCTE’s various programs, projects, and encourage use of NCTE resources at the local level;
- To participate in the bi-annual affiliate leadership meeting, held every other summer, with financial sponsorship of airfare, hotel, and food costs;
- To keep up-to-date with NCTE policies, structural changes, and focal issues and inform affiliate groups in a timely fashion;
- To respond to staff and NCTE Executive Committee requests for advice on planning affiliate events, leadership meetings, and general issues.
Travel funding is provided to attend the biennial Affiliate Leadership Meeting.
Area(s) of Expertise
Committee Member Expectations
- Attend meetings (in-person and online)
- Help to solicit or create blog posts related to committee work
- Provide or propose topics and content for in-person events, virtual events, and Annual Convention sessions
- Assist the chair and NCTE staff in creating and executing these events as you are able
- Support the chair in their vision and ideas for the committee by using your skills, expertise, and time
- Provide input on the workings of the committee
- Time Commitment: Over 1 year
- Deadline: 12/01/2023
- Position Type: Appointed by Committee Chair
- Convention travel expected
Questions? Contact NCTECommittees@ncte.org