Standing Committee Against Censorship
The Standing Committee Against Censorship is charged to solicit and receive reports of censorship incidents from NCTE members, constituent groups, and sources outside the Council; to serve as a resource on current patterns of censorship; to continue to raise awareness of censorship issues; to serve as an advisory committee to NCTE considering the kinds of support and services that an Intellectual Freedom/Anti-Censorship Center could provide; to promote policies for literature adoption that allay the possibility of censorship; to help NCTE develop rationales for the teaching of controversial texts, and to develop a white paper that further explores students’ right to write and all of its implications.
If you would like to be considered for possible membership on this committee, please send the following information to NCTECommittees@ncte.org.
- Member Number (If you are not currently a member, please provide your address).
- Email Address
- A brief biographical statement
- Resume/CV and any relevant experience
Area(s) of Expertise
Committee Member Expectations
- Attend meetings
- Help to solicit or create blog posts
- Provide or propose topics and content for in-person events, virtual events, and Annual Convention sessions
- Assist the chair and NCTE staff in creating and executing these events as you are able
- Support the chair in their vision and ideas for the committee by using your skills, expertise, and time
- Provide input on the workings of the committee
- Time Commitment: Over 1 year
- Deadline: No deadline
- Position Type: Appointed by Committee Chair
- Convention travel preferred
Questions? Contact NCTECommittees@ncte.org