Standing Committee Against Censorship
The Standing Committee Against Censorship is charged to solicit and receive reports of censorship incidents from NCTE members, constituent groups, and sources outside the Council; to serve as a resource on current patterns of censorship; to continue to raise awareness of censorship issues; to serve as an advisory committee to NCTE considering the kinds of support and services that an Intellectual Freedom/Anti-Censorship Center could provide; to promote policies for literature adoption that allay the possibility of censorship; to help NCTE develop rationales for the teaching of controversial texts, and to develop a white paper that further explores students’ right to write and all of its implications.
If you would like to be considered for possible membership on this committee, please send the following information to NCTECommittees@ncte.org.
- Member Number (If you are not currently a member, please provide your address).
- Email Address
- A brief biographical statement
- Resume/CV and any relevant experience
Area(s) of Expertise
Committee Member Expectations
- Attend monthly meetings during the school year
- Support the chair in their vision and ideas for the committee by using your skills, expertise, and time
- Provide input on the workings of the committee
- Provide input on intellectual freedom initiatives at NCTE
- Assist with the creation and execution of protected sessions at the Annual Convention
- Contribute to the rationale database by writing, reviewing, and suggesting book rationale titles, as well as updating or creating of other materials related to book rationales (like templates, review rubrics, etc.)
- Time Commitment: Over 1 year
- Deadline: No deadline
- Position Type: Appointed by Committee Chair
- Convention travel expected
Questions? Contact NCTECommittees@ncte.org