Funding and Timeline Parameters
Grants will be awarded for periods of up to one year and up to $5,000 over the life of the grant. Applicants must be members in good standing of NCTE. Applicants are limited to one grant submission in each funding cycle and will only qualify for one funded project every three years.
Disbursement of Funds
Funding is awarded in two phases: Upon approval of the proposal by the Board of Trustees, 80% of the grant is awarded. The remaining 20% of the grant will be funded after the satisfactory completion of the interim requirements (interim report and budget summary; see below).
The following expenses are NOT permitted as part of the grant budget:
- Commercial teaching materials
- Dissertation support
- Tuition expenses
- Indirect, overhead, or benefit costs
- Previously incurred expenses related to the project
- Researcher salaries
Applicants Will Submit:
Deadline and Notification
The Application Cover Sheet, Grant Proposal, and One-Page Resume must be received no later than MARCH 15, 2019, 11:59 p.m. CT, and must be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Notification of grant decisions will be announced by June 1, 2019.
Interim and Final Reports
Interim and Final Reports are required by grantees.
- Interim Report Format (midway through sponsored research project period): 500-750 words. The Interim Report should be written in response to these questions and will include an updated budget summary:
- What have I done to date?
- What am I learning?
- What issues and problems have come up?
- What questions do I have at this point?
- Where do I need to go next?
- How has my thinking about this issue changed?
An updated budget summary is also required outlining how the funds have been spent to this point. The remaining 20% of the grant is funded upon a satisfactory fulfillment of this requirement.
- Final Report Format (at completion of sponsored research project period): 500-750 words. A Final Report is required that addresses these points:
- Restatement of the research question
- Summary of findings/understandings
- New questions
Recipients of the grants should submit a proposal to the NCTE Annual Convention to present their work funded by the Research Foundation. If your proposal is accepted, you may use a portion of your grant to pay for your conference expenses. Make sure that you include this in your budget.
Recipients are also encouraged to submit manuscripts based on their research to one of the NCTE publications.
For further information on this grant program or any questions on your application, please contact the NCTE Research Foundation by emailing email@example.com.